About Central Oregon
In my time on this planet, I've been to numerous cities, states, countries, and even continents. But central Oregon remains my home. Occasionally someone from outside of the area will ask me, “What’s so great about central Oregon?” There are many answers to that question. Popular ones include the fantastic weather, the wealth of year-round outdoor activities, and the relaxed lifestyle. The links and videos on this page should give you just a little taste of what the region has to offer. In short, it's the perfect place to live, work, and play.
The websites below are fantastic resources for the area. Living in central Oregon, we are just a few hours away from any other point in the state and the two Oregon travel sites can help you explore the state as a whole. The two central Oregon tourism sites are loaded with useful information regarding activities, restaurants, resorts, golf courses, guided tours, craft breweries, and just about anything else you might be curious about.
"This site is dedicated to providing you with the most comprehensive resource of Oregon-related vacation and tourism information. We work closely with chambers of commerce, visitor information bureaus and local newspapers to keep our information updated and relevant for you."
- traveloregon.com | youtube channel
"The Oregon Tourism Commission, doing business as Travel Oregon, is a semi-independent agency created by the Oregon Legislature in 2003 to enhance Oregonians’ quality of life by strengthening economic impacts of the state’s $10.8 billion tourism industry."
- visitcentraloregon.com | youtube channel
A wealth of information pertaining to the center of Oregon maintained by the Central Oregon Visitors Association.
- visitbend.com | youtube channel
"The Bend City Council created, empowered, and funded Visit Bend (formerly the Bend Visitor & Convention Bureau) to develop and build Bend's tourism industry. Visit Bend is an economic development organization whose primary function is to create an effective mix of marketing, sales, and service programs, which are designed to produce a positive economic impact of visitor and convention spending in Bend."
"Bend, Oregon activities, lodging, dining, guided tours. Information on kid's activities, local trails, biking, golf and more outdoor activities in Bend, Oregon."
Local Guide Publications
The following magazine-format guides are ree available free of charge at most visitor centers, chambers of commerce, resorts, and select hotels throughout central Oregon. Our Sunriver office receives about half of them. Luxury Home Magazine is available at most of the larger real estate companies in the area. The Bend and Sunriver offices of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Northwest Real Estate each receive a monthly alottment of issues which are available free of charge to guests & clients.
With the exception of The Oregonian, the following newspapers are specific to the region:
Lifestyle, Design, & Travel Publications Produced In Oregon
The following publications are specific to Oregon and can be found at many retailers, hotels, and resorts in the area.
- 1859 | Oregon’s Magazine.
- Bend | Central Oregon Life & Style.
- Bend Health Guide | Bend Health Guide is a collective of Health Providers in Bend promoting a Healthy Lifestyle.
- Bend Lifestyle | For and about the residents in the Bend area.
- Cascade A&E | Fine Art Magazine, Cascade Arts & Entertainment News.
- Cascade Journal | High Desert Life Defined.
- GO! | Central Oregon's Source For Events, arts & entertainment news (published by the Bend Bulletin).
- Gray | Reflecting the intellect and culture of leading design coming out of the Pacific Northwest.
- Oregon Coast Magazine | All about Oregon’s coast.
- Oregon Home Magazine | Oregon Home magazine celebrates how Oregonians remodel, decorate, and live in their homes.
- Oregon Outdoor Magazine | Oregon Outdoor Magazine, or O2 for short, is a lifestyle magazine featuring stunning photography from Oregon, the Pacific Northwest and around the world.
- Portland Monthly | Portland Monthly chronicles and celebrates one of America’s most innovative cities.
- Portrait Of Portland | Portrait Magazine is for and about the Pacific Northwest.
- Southern Oregon Magazine | Southern Oregon's Premier Lifestyle Magazine.
- The Source Weekly | News & reviews on a weekly basis.
Lifestyle, Design, & Travel Publications Produced Outside Of Oregon
While not specific to central Oregon or the rest of the state, the following titles can be found in many stores and are a good source for home design as well as decorating ideas & inspiration:
- American Bungalow | The magazine published in the interest of preserving and restoring the modest American 20th century home, the BUNGALOW, and the rich lifestyle it affords.
- American Cowboy | Western values. Western voices. Western stories.
- American Farmhouse Style | Well styled home.
- Architectural Digest | Architectural Digest is a vibrant monthly celebration of international design talents, innovative homes and products, inspiring decorating ideas, culture, and travel.
- Aspire Design And Home | interior designs and design trends, up close and personal interviews with the designers and architects that make them happen, and right inside some of the world's most inspiring estates.
- Atomic Ranch | Atomic Ranch celebrates midcentury houses — from 1940s ranch tracts to 1960s architect-designed modernist homes.
- Better Homes & Gardens | Inspiring ideas for home, gardening, food, holidays, and living well.
- Big Sky Journal | Culture and Lifestyle of the Rocky Mountain West.
- Cabin Life | The leading destination for achieving and enjoying the cabin lifestyle.
- California Homes | The Magazine of Architecture, the Arts, and Distinctive Design.
- Coastal Living | The best in coastal style, seafood, travel, and events – For People Who Love The Coast
- The Cottage Journal | Inspiration for the charming comforts of home. The Cottage Journal magazine offers fresh decorating tips and style ideas for cottages around the country.
- Cottages & Bungalows | Celebrating the vintage home and the lifestyle that respects fine craftsmanship, DIY ingenuity and leaving a lighter footprint on the planet.
- Cottages & Gardens | The finest in regional luxury design coverage to residents of America’s most affluent communities, creating a unique sense of place.
- Cottage Life | Cottage Life is the definitive source for cottagers in Ontario (Canada) and beyond.
- Country Gardens | Inspiring ideas for home, gardening, food, holidays, and living well.
- Country Living | With a focus on decorating, gardening, and cooking, Country Living beats a path home to what really matters.
- Country Sampler | Country Sampler is a must-have, all-in-one resource for any country decorator.
- Cowboys & Indians | Cowboys & Indians brings you the best of Western photography, travel, art, fashion, food, history, music, and much more.
- Cowgirl | The number one modern western lifestyle magazine for women.
- Domino | Bring your style home!
- Dwell | Dwell is a collaborative platform for architects, designers, and enthusiasts to share and discover inspiring design.
- Elle Decor | Fashion for the home.
- Elegant Homes | A special edition magazine from the makers of Traditional Home.
- Farm & Ranch West | Award-winning, coffee table-quality catalog publications designed to showcase America's most desirable farm, ranch, and recreational real estate.
- Fine Gardening | One of a number of publication by The Taunton Press.
- HGTV Magazine | Inside every issue we share DIY ideas, budget buys, homes you'll love and all the best tips from HGTV stars, experts and editors.
- Home & Design | An exceptional reference for owners of luxury home real estate seeking the best in interior design and remodeling, as well as landscaping, kitchens, baths and other luxury spaces.
- House Beautiful | Life begins at home.
- House & Home | Magazine of home and style.
- In Style | All the fashion, beauty and celebrity buzz you need to know.
- Interiors | An international design magazine featuring exclusive offerings from the world of art, architecture, interior design and travel.
- Log Cabin Homes | Your go-to source for information on decorating, building, and maintaining log homes.
- Log Home Living | Whether you are dreaming, planning, building, or already own a log home or log cabin, Log Home Living is here to help.
- Luxe | Interiors + Design.
- Mediterranean Homes & Lifestyles | A special edition magazine from the makers of Traditional Home.
- Milieu | A magazine of style.
- Mountain | Mountain magazine is the ultimate guide to the North American high country. We deliver four-season coverage of mountain sports, culture, and communities.
- Mountain Living | Your source for the high country's best architecture, interior design, luxury real estate and travel destinations.
- Northwest Travel & Life | The informative resource in the Northwest for travel, food, adventure and living life to its fullest.
- OutdoorsNW | PNW's best magazine for outdoor recreation & travel. Your home for cycling, running & ski events.
- Real Simple | Real Simple gives creative, practical & inspiring solutions to make life easier.
- Romantic Country | Romantic Country magazine brings the best of living with comfort & beauty home to you.
- Romantic Homes | Casual Elegance, Personal Style - A stunning showcase of all things romantic and beautiful.
- Style At Home | Canada's top resource for fabulous decorating, design and entertaining ideas.
- Sunset | Your guide to living in the west.
- Timber Home Living | A magazine and website that serves as the ultimate resource for timber-home enthusiasts.
- Traditional Home | Classic taste. Modern life.
- True West | Blending Old West facts with New West lifestyle, since 1953.
- Veranda | Veranda is a forum for the very best in living well.
- Western Home Journal | The luxury mountain home architecture, construction, and design resource.
- Wild West | The American Frontier
Books About Design & Architecture
Please see the library of personal recommendations I've assembled over at Obsidian Architecture. I also have a page for central Oregon guidebooks on that site as well!
"The best time to buy a home is always five years ago."
– Ray Brown
All original content, formatting, and layout © Mitch Darby. All rights reserved. Information provided deemed reliable, but not guaranteed and is subject to change without notice.